How Do You Claim Car Insurance – a Step-by-Step Guide
06 Feb 2019
Many policyholders are not aware of what they need to do to get a car insurance claim. Here is a step-by-step guide to help you claim car insurance.
Insurance claim for damages to your car
- You will be required to submit a claim form in addition to the necessary documents to your insurance company. You need to do this before sending your car for repair.
- The company will appoint a surveyor to assess the damages to your car. Based on his knowledge, they will make a report and provide it to the insurer.
- In case of severe damages, the surveyor will make it to the accident spot within no time.
- According to the report prepared by the surveyor, you will have to arrange for the repair of the car.
- After the completion of the repair work, you need to take the duly signed bills as well as the documents from your garage and submit them to the surveyor who will send it to your insurance company for further processing.
- When everything is in place, your insurance company will reimburse the bills.
Always keep in mind that the insurance company will be able to reimburse the bills only if they are submitted on time.
Insurance claim process in a third party claim
- When a third party sends you a notice asking for a claim, the first thing you need to do is inform the insurance company before you communicate with them. Do not make any sort of financial commitments or settlements before you speak to your insurance company first.
- Provide a copy of the notice to your insurer.
- Submit copies of driving license, FIR and RC book of your car.
- The insurance company will go through the documents and if found necessary, will appoint a lawyer for you.
- In case of a direction by the court to make a payment for the damages caused to the third party, the company will pay the dues directly to the third party who made a claim.
Insurance claim process in case of a stolen vehicle
- First and foremost, you need to lodge an FIR and file a complaint with the police. Also, submit the copy of the FIR to your insurance company.
- Submit the final police report to your insurance provider.
- Your insurance company will ask an investigator to work on the case, and you will be required to cooperate with them.
- Once the claim is approved, you will have to provide the RC book of the stolen car to the insurance company, and the name of the owner in the RC book will then be changed to the name of the insurer.
- Hand over the duplicate keys of the car as well as the subrogation letter.
- The insurer will now clear the claim.
It is important to remain aware about the procedure you need to follow to make a car insurance claim. You must communicate with the insurance company as soon as there is a theft of the car or an accident of your car. Whether it is a minor accident, a third-party claim or theft, when you know the procedure to make a claim, the job will become more comfortable for you.
Disclaimer: For more details on risk factors, terms & conditions please read sales brochure carefully before concluding a sale. *The discount amount will vary subject to vehicle specification and place of registration.